Sunday 25 January 2015

Module 2: Task 5a

Ethical Considerations:

Teaching Assistant within an SEN school:

  • Know school's policies/procedures in regards to safeguarding and health and safety.
  • Provide an current DBS (formerly CRB) annually.
  • Provide accurate details of incidents as and when required (instanced involving restraining etc)
  • Discuss children only when in appropriate situations such as meetings and reviews and only with the appropriate people (do not have a gossip about what child A did to child B during staff lunch break!)
  • Do not take photographs of children on personal devices (cameras, phones, tablets etc). 
Within my role as a TA I am simply responsible for adhering to the ethical practices set out by the leadership team and reading/understanding then implementing updated policies as and when necessary.  


Dance Teacher:

Legal requirements (to the best of my knowledge) - 
  • Holding a current DBS check (see above)
  • Holding a current first aid certificate (when there are no other first aiders present)
  • Safeguarding - writing (using government legislation) and implementing safeguarding policies.  Covers issues such as, but not limited to, child abuse and bullying.
  • Understanding and adhering to legislation on data protection issues
  • Implementing effective health & safety strategies on a daily basis (risk assessments etc)
  • Carrying valid and adequate level public liability insurance
  • Keeping up to date records of medical issues surrounding the children I teach and having the correct emergency medicine i.e. Epipen (kept securely locked away as per health and safety policy) and emergency contact details of parents/guardians.
  • Having a working phone in case of emergency.
  • Being aware of licensing/copyright laws for music in shows
  • Being aware of child performer legislation and chaperoning laws for shows.
  • Ensure I have permission slips BEFORE any trips/videography/photography signed by a parent/guardian.  This also includes using photographs/video material in marketing.
  • Taking responsibility for my own business management (paying correct tax etc) as a self employed teacher. 
Other ethical practices I implement on top of the afore mentioned legal requirements:
  • Never be alone with a child in a room (if only one child arrives for class, I always invite the parent in to watch)
  • Avoid teaching in a door with no windows and if I do have to occasionally, I always open the door so parents can see in. 
  • I always aim to know the religious background of a child so I am aware of their beliefs.
  • Keep my syllabus knowledge up to date and uphold good standards of teaching practice.
  • Be a good role model and mentor.  
  • Advising children of all the options and not just the one I find to be the most suitable (career advice etc).
  • Listening to the children's need and expectations and aiming to fulfil these where possible.
  • Breed inspiration and a love of the arts, just as my teachers did for me.
Within my role as a dance teacher I am responsible for all of the ethical practices, which makes dance teaching a lot more than just teaching dance! 


Image Source:http://www.pinterest.com/pin/287948969899855913/


1 comment:

  1. I think this is a really interesting post! i haven't got onto writing mine up yet, but i have certainly been thinking about all the ethics surrounding my potential inquiry, and i feel ours are very similar!

    I think learning from the previous module, one of the dangers of the inquiry is the mentioning of names and establishments, something i found was apparent in my work previously. When explaining scenarios involving students and teachers, i find it hard to ensure that i am considering all ethical implications. Although i may not specifically mention names or the school, it is quite easy to see from my CV and work experience where i am currently working, so this is something I'm really going to have to think about whilst conducting my inquiry!

    I LOVE the last picture, it explains so well the other responsibilities we have as a teacher, not just delivering a lesson, but everything else that comes with it! I am hoping that our experience in this field will help us when considering all things ethical with our inquiry!

    Are they any ethical procedures or measures you find difficult to comply with? just because of impracticality? Ones in line with use of technology i do find difficult, as i explored in previous tasks, the use of phones to record choreography is so apparent within my working environment its hard to monitor. Also i have found it almost impossible uncertain situations to not be alone with a certain student,especially one with severe learning difficulties requiring assistance in getting ready! That one always does make me question everything ethical! xx

    ReplyDelete